While the interiors and building systems desperately needed an upgrade, this 1946 era men’s residence hall at TU presented loads of potential for attracting college students. Nearly every inch of the building interior required refreshing of materials and finishes, however, two spaces in particular became top priority when considering the importance of first impression and student hang-out space.
Charged with creating an old “English Mens’ Club” aesthetic in the Main Lobby, Selser Schaefer Architects drew inspiration from the existing architecture of the room. The addition of rich wood trim, masculine furniture pieces and period pendant fixtures creates a pleasant and striking first impression as visitors enter the building. Historic university photography neatly framed and displayed, combined with a tailored color palette exude a sense of history and promote solidarity.